[WLOs: 2, 4] [CLO: 2]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review the video Equity in Psychological Testing: A Historical Perspective (Links to an external site.) and the 5 tips to improve your critical thinking – Samantha Agoos (Links to an external site.) video.
Additionally, review the resources below:
- Chapters 1 and 2 in your textbook
- Section 9: Assessment on the webpage, Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct APA Guidelines for Psychological Assessment and Evaluation (Links to an external site.)
Psychological tests can be used in ways that are helpful or harmful. Ethical standards and legal constraints are placed on their use to protect the public, such as when tests are used for determining educational placement or in employment selection. For this assignment, you will write a two- to three-page paper that details a psychological testing scenario and its ethical considerations.
To successfully complete this assignment, organize your paper in the following manner using each of the headings provided below in boldface.
Paragraph 1 (Introduction)
Compose a one-paragraph introduction to your psychological testing scenario and ethical considerations. Be sure to review the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center’s resource Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.).
Paragraph 2 (Applied Scenario)
Create a one-paragraph scenario describing a situation in which psychological testing might be utilized (e.g., learning disorder evaluation, law enforcement candidate screening, pre-surgery evaluation, competency to stand trial determination, or pre-employment testing). This list is not exhaustive.
Feel free to identify and discuss other applications of psychological testing in your scenario. Although not required, you are encouraged to create a scenario relevant to a field you would consider pursuing for your personal career.
Paragraph 3 (Ethical Concerns)
Apply the assigned readings to identify at least three potential ethical concerns based on principles from Standard 9 in the APA Ethics Code (e.g., 9.01 Bases for Assessments, 9.02 Use of Assessment, 9.03 Informed Consent in Assessment, 9.06 Interpreting Assessment Results, 9.07 Assessment by Unqualified Persons, 9.08 Obsolete Tests and Outdated Test Results, or 9.10 Explaining Assessment Results).
For each ethical concern, be specific about how the principle relates to the scenario you created.
Paragraph 4 (Test Bias, Reliability, Validity, and Ethics)
In this paragraph,
- Define test bias.
- Describe the types of test bias that could impact the evaluation for the scenario you created.
- Discuss how reliability and validity are linked using the example in your scenario.
- Integrate what you learned from Chapter 2 with the information learned in the two assigned articles to determine how reliability and validity are related to ethical concerns.
Paragraph 5 (Solutions)
In this paragraph,
- Apply information from the APA Guidelines for Psychological Assessment and Evaluation to offer solutions for the three ethical concerns you identified in Paragraph 3.
- Propose how to address the concerns related to test bias and to ensure tests and assessments utilized are reliable and valid. Refer to information from Chapter 2 in the textbook and the APA Guidelines for Psychological Assessment and Evaluation.
Paragraph 6 (Conclusions)
Compose a one-paragraph conclusion as described in the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center’s resource Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.).